brown eyed girl

Sunday, May 13, 2007

You are God Alone




Wow, I am ashamed at how long it has been since I have blogged or even read anyone's blogs. I thought since the end of school is quickly approaching, I better slip a blog in before the business of summer hits.
This year has been a tough one overall but a huge growing experience for me. Although my shophomore year has been tons of fun, there were also some hard moments as well. My faith was tested and even waivered quite a bit for a couple months.

In late november a girl from my school, Erika (top left), was in a serious car accident with a firetruck. LONG story short she passed away on November 26, 2006. I was not close to her but I knew her, and that week in the hospital before she died I, and the majority of the school, prayed so hard for her life. I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that God was going to heal her. I knew He was capable of any miracle no matter how big the circumstance. However, God did not answer my prayer in the way I had forseen it to happen. That shook me.

Soon after that, my friend's grandma became very ill and was close to death. Out of grief for my friend and probably an attempt to prove my God capable of miracles I prayed so hard for her life to be spared. I knew that God would heal her because I know His power. However, God did not answer my prayer in the way I had forseen it to happen. That shook me.

A couple months later another event shook my faith: the death of Amy and Jeremy's precious son, my nephew. I prayed so hard for the comfort of my sister and brother-in-law, but at the same time asked "why?". That shook me.

Later in the year, a junior at my school's mother became very ill with cancer. We prayed multiple times in school for her and much more than that. Once again I pleaded with God for Him to heal Lori (top right) of the cancer and once again however, God did not answer my prayer in the way I had forseen it to happen and Lori died. That shook me.

All of these events got to me eventually and really shook my faith. Why, when there is so much faith flowing out of people does God not answer our prayers? Why have faith for anything if in the end it was in vain? These questions, although competely wrong, filled my mind. It wasn't until a couple weeks ago that I realized that my faith is in God and who He is. I cannot see the big picture. God is transcendent and is beyond our scope and imagination and we can never fully understand His ultimate plan. However, I do know that God is loving and that He is in control. One of my favorite worship songs now is "You are God Alone" because the words are so true and remind me of God's greatness through both the good and bad times in our lives.

"You are God alone, from before time began you were on your throne, you're are God alone. And right now, in the good times and bad, you are on your throne. You're are God alone."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Palmer said...

keep the faith sis...i will see you in 3 days.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

oh baby bethany. even as far away as ames i felt the impact of erika and lori. i love you baby girl. life is rough but God is always faithful

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I am sorry for the many sorrows you have had this year. It is a blessing to hear of your continued faith in God thru the heartache. !! I pray you will always keep on keeping on!!!
I wish I had known about your Cinderella play. Maybe I can see a video of it someday.
Love
Jeannie

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home